Senior Orchestra Auditions
Senior Orchestra - open to students in grades 9-12.
District 8 Orchestra Rep - Sheila Felder - DeKalb High School - 815.754.2120
District 2 Orchestra Rep - Rosemary Ardner - Dunlap Public Schools - 309.243.7778
Orchestra is in District 8 for 2016-2017 - Nominations must be entered in the RNS under District 8. Please check and double check District 8 for all deadlines, dates and information!
2016 Senior Orchestra Audition Materials (four parts)
1. District 8 Cycle 4
Cycle 1 - 2017
Cycle 2 - 2018
Cycle 3 - 2019
Cycle 4 - 2016
Russlan and Ludmilla Overture - Glinka - Kalmus A1484 or Luck's publisher.
Brahms Academic Festival Overture
Prelude to Die Meistersinger - Wagner
Symphony #4 Finale - Tchaikovsky
2. Senior Scales Sheet - (C, G, D, A, E, F, Bb, c, g (melodic minor) - 3 octaves, 2 for bass, Quarter note=120, detached bowing)
3. Sight Reading
2016 Senior Harp Audition
- Universal Method for the Harp (Boscha-Oberthuer)
- #40 Moderato
- Carl Fischer
- Quater Note = 80
Nutcracker Suite No. 1 (Peter Ilyich Tschaikovsky)
Waltz of the Flowers - Cadenza (Measures 1-32)
Kalmus #A2173 - Luck's #068973. Sight Reading
- Contact Sheila Felder for information.
All Senior Violins will audition on the same excerpts from the required piece. There are no separate Violin I and Violin II auditions.
Audition excerpts are available as a PDF or by snail mail via Sheila Felder. Official LIMEA Bowed parts are also available if needed.
All nominations will be done online through the RNS. (www.ilalldist.org)
District 2 & 8 Schools: Please note that you need to follow this procedure if your school is not listed under District 8:
A. Log in to www.ilalldist.org
B. Select District 8
C. Scroll to the end of the school listings and select "SCHOOL NOT FOUND"
D. Enter School Information. Please enter school name EXACTLY as it is listed under District 8.
E. District 2 President will automatically receive an email notification of a new school request. After it is approved, the state office will be able to activate the listing if the school participation fee is paid.
Five steps to the Senior Violin Audition
- Excerpt Sheets
- This will include all of the important excerpts that combine sections from BOTH the Violin I and Violin II parts. Up to 4 excerpts will be chosen for the audition in addition to the State Excertps.
- Students will be assigned an audition time. Students will play their scales and excerpts for a judge. Depending on the number of students auditioning on each instrument, they may play both parts of the audition for one judge, or the students may have one judge listening to the scales and one listening to the excerpts.
- Scales Score + Excerpts Score = Total Score
- Judges enter scores live into the RNS and keep tally sheets. Final scores are verified at the end of the day.
- 1-8 (1st violin), 9-16 (2nd violin), 17-36 alternating by stand and section
- Single School Representatives will be added to the end of the section after all the available seats have been filled within the ensemble.
- Audition standards and scoring are aligned with the state standard for scoring.
- Teachers select"VIOLIN" not "Violin I or Violin 2" on nominee form and the District 2/8 Orchestra Reps will designate 1st or 2nd violin on the form for those students selected for All-State.
- Ranking does not correlate with seating in district, but it does correlate with whether or not the student is selected for All-State.
- The top ranked students in each section WILL be selected for All-State.
Prepared Tone - 10 points
Prepared Intonation - 10 points
Prepared Technique - 10 points
Prepared Rhythm - 10 points
Prepared Musicianship - 10 points
Scale Skills - 10 points