Chris Gass - Senior Orchestra Representative
Quincy Public Schools
Guest Conductor: Brian Dollinger, Muscatine Symphony Orchestra/Clinton Symphony Orchestra/Kamuela Philharmonic Orchestra
Festival Repertoire: Brahmns Symphony #3 and others TBD
REQUIRED AUDITION MATERIALS - SENIOR HIGH ORCHESTRA - STRINGS ONLY (HARP SEE BELOW)
1. SCALES: Students will be asked to perform two, three-octave scales (two octaves for bass) from the following list: C, G, D, A, E, F, Bb major and c or g melodic minor. Scales are to be performed at quarter note=120 with a detached stroke.
2. SIGHTREADING: The state is commissioning someone to create appropriate sight-reading for all strings and harp. These will be used by all districts.
3. STATE REQUIRED EXCERPTS:
Points of clarification:
1. The state required excerpt is intended solely for audition purposes. It does not indicate what the district or all-state orchestra will be performing that year.
2. In a given year, the excerpts may come from different pieces.
3. There will be a four-year rotation of excerpts for each instrument.
4. There will be a transparent process to replace excerpts if necessary.
Tone – 10
Intonation – 10
Technique – 10
Rhythm – 10
Musicianship – 10
Scales – 10
Sight Reading – 10
HARP REQUIREMENTS (2016-2017)
Harp auditions will be held at the District site. Harpists will be expected to perform the etude and orchestral excerpt as indicated in the listing of required audition materials (See Orchestra Division Required Music). Orchestra Representatives will provide taping equipment. An auditioner will record the audition and submit the recording to the District Representative. They, in turn, will forward the recording(s) of the selected harpist(s) to the State Orchestra Division President for the purpose of All-State Selection.
The harpist must perform with a District performance organization, if assigned to one, in order to remain eligible for All-State.
If the District repertoire does not require harp(s), the selected recording(s) will be forwarded to the State Orchestra Division President and selected student(s) are not required to attend the District Festival.