LOOK LEFT for links to each festival - Jr/Sr, Jazz, or Elementary Music Festival
Scroll down for Repertoire Lists
Jr/Sr Festival Information Letter -
Congratulations on the selection of your students for the 2017 District 8 Jr/Sr Festivals, Jazz Festival, and EGM Festival. Please read and share the following information with the other music faculty members in your school.
2017 D8 Festival dates and locations
EGM Festival (formerly JEM)- Novmeber 4, 2017 - Harlem Middle School - See details for the EGM Festival by selecting "EGM Festival" on the left.
Jr/Sr Orchestra Festival - November 11, 2017 - Augustana College - Rock Island, IL. See details for the Jr/Sr Festival by selecting the District 2 link and their festivals link on the left.
Jr/Sr Jazz Festival- November 11, 2017 - Rochelle High School - See details for the Jazz Festival by selecting "Jazz Festival" on the left.
Jr/Sr Band & Choir Festival - November 18, 2017 - DeKalb High School - 501 W. Dresser, DeKalb, IL. See details for the Jr/Sr Festival by selecting "Jr/Sr Festival" on the left.
Payment procedures for Festival Participation Fees – Sign in to RNS web site (www.ilalldist.org). Select “Festival” button at the top of the screen. Follow the directions for printing and go to page setup and set to landscape and set all margins to “0”. Print the Festival Billing sheet. Mail the Festival Billing sheet and payment to the ILMEA State Office. The address is listed at the bottom of the page. You may also pay by credit card by faxing the Festival Billing Sheet with credit card information to the ILMEA State Office. There is now an online option as well. Please do not send money to the District President. According to the Festival Billing sheet, payment must be made to the ILMEA State Office by November 1, or your students will be unable to participate in the district festival.
Eligibility for All-State – In order for Senior Division students to be eligible for All-State, they must attend the district festival and participate fully at all rehearsals and the festival performance. Please stress with all students that they be on time for all rehearsals. A late bus may disqualify your students from All-State. Plan ahead!
Festival Music – Please remind students that they are to bring all ILMEA parts sent in the festival music mailing and that they are to turn in those parts at the conclusion of the concert. If a student cannot attend the festival, please bring the ILMEA parts to the festival and turn them in to the appropriate organization chair. If any instrumental student has missing parts or if there is some confusion as to which part to play, please contact their respective organization chair. There is no music sent ahead for the EGM Festival.
|Senior Band:||Matt Eatonemail@example.com|
|Junior Band:||Lis Schurmanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Senior Chorus:||Phillip Vermillion||pvermillion@ district100.com|
|Junior Mixed Chorus:||Lana Crandallemail@example.com|
|Junior Treble Chorus:||Mardi Huffstutler||mardihfstlr @hotmail.com|
|Jazz Bands:||Scott Mertensfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Vocal Jazz Ensemble:||Colleen Bartimocciaemail@example.com|
Director Meal Reservations – Reservations for the annual District 8 Jr/Sr Festival Director’s Luncheon (form enclosed in the festival music mailing) must be made by November 10. Send your check and reservation form to DeKalb High School. This is a great opportunity to meet with our guest conductors and accompanists. The luncheon will be open from 11 a.m until 1:30 p.m. Directors may come in at their leisure. 2016 Director's Luncheon Form Download (19.3 KB) here. Director reservations for Jazz and EGM are handled through the Jazz/EGM Representatives. Please watch for an email and reply promptly. Thank you!
Student Meal Reservations - Please use the links on the left to navigate to each separate festival for student meal information.
The Student Emergency Contact Form (29.4 KB) must be filled out for each festival. Be sure to include every student that will be in attendance at the festival. Print a separate form for each festival and bring a hard copy with you.
Registration Desks – Located in the lobby. Directors must register the name of the adult responsible for students from their school along with a cell phone number that you or another responsible adult can be contacted at for emergencies. Additionally, directors will receive meal tickets (Jr/Sr Festival Only), voting cards (NAfME members only), festival programs, and Professional Development Evaluation Forms. Registration will occur between 8:00-10:00 a.m.
Membership in ILMEA/NAfMe– There will be information available at the registration desk for you to become a member of our organization.
2017 Professional development sessions - TBA
Director's Reading Session, November 4, 2017, 10:45am-11:45am, Harlem Middle School, Loves Park, IL.
Jazz Director's Roundtable, November 11, 2017, 9am-10am, Lisa Eaton, Rochelle Township High School, Rochelle, IL
Jr. / Sr. Festival:
Band Directors Roundtable, November 18, 2017, Time TBD, Lisa Eaton, DeKalb High School, DeKalb, IL, Form Room
Vocal Director's Reading Session, November 18, 2017, Time TBD, DeKalb High School, DeKalb, IL.
2017 Division Meetings - TBA
Division Meetings November 4, November 11 & November 18 – Please plan on attending as there are many issues which need to be discussed and your input is important. If you would like to add an item to the agenda, please email the presider of that particular meeting.
- EGM Division - 9:30 AM - Hannah Fidler, presiding - Harlem Middle School - 11/4/17
- Jazz Band Division - 1:15 PM - Scott Mertens, presiding - Rochelle Township High School - 11/11/17
- Vocal Jazz Division - 1:15 PM - Colleen Bartimoccia, presiding - Rochelle Township High School - 11/11/17
- Jazz Division - 1:45 PM - Scott Mertens, presiding - Rochelle Township High School - 11/11/17
- Band Division - 1:45 PM - Annette Hackbarth, presiding - DeKalb High School - 11/18/17
- Orchestra Division - See District 2 for 2017 - 11/11/17
- Chorus Division - 1:45 PM - Scott Mattison, presiding - DeKalb High School - 11/18/17
- General Session - 2:45 PM - Jeremiah Kramper, presiding - DeKalb High School - 11/18/17
Band Division - Contact Annette Hackbarth for additional information.
Sr. Band Repertoire 2017 - Dr. Pete Griffin, Conductor
- The Directorate - John Philip Sousa / Boyd/Byrne
- Shenandoah - Frank Ticheli
- Greek Folk Song Suite - Cesarini
- Foundry - John Mackey
Jr. Band Repertoire 2017 - John Versluis, Conductor
- Counter Balance - Todd Stalter
- Arabian Dances - Roland Barrett
- Music for Queen Mary - Robert Garofalo
- Champions of Freedom - Ken Harris
Choral Division - Contact Scott Mattison for additional information.
Sr. Choir Repertoire 2017 - Mary Lynn Doherty, Conductor, TBA , Accompanist
- Earth Song - SATB - Ticheli (Hinshaw)
- Regina Coeli - SATB - Mozart/Boyd (ILMEA Download)
- Consecrate the Place and Day - SATB - Pfautsch (Alfred 1367739)
- Yo Le Canto Todo el Dia - SSAATTBB - Brunner (Boosey & Hawkes)
- The Boy Who Picked up His Feet to Fly- TTBB - Shank, Santa Barbara Music Publishing
- Wanting Memories - SSAA (SATBB) - Barnwell (Barnwell's Note Publishing) (please see auditions for information of converting to SSAA)
Jr. Mixed Choir Repertoire 2017 - Jeff Lehman, Conductor, Darlene Powers Palmer, Accompanist
- A Festive Alleluia - SAB - Lightfoot (Heritage Music Press)
- Alleluia - SAB - Mozart/Robinson (Alfred SV 9733)
- Glad We Be This Day - SAB - Wolfe (Heritage Music Press)
- Prayer of the Children - SAB - Bestor/Arr. Hayes (Alfred 10515355)
- Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel - SAB - Emerson (Hal Leonard)
Jr. Treble Choir Repertoire 2017 - Bridget Mary Sweet, Conductor, Jennifer Fox, Accompanist
- Rise Up Singing! - SSA - Leibergen (Alfred 3252640)
- Shady Grove - SSA - Robert I. Hugh (Hal Leonard 10441912)
- The Rising - SSA - Andrea Ramsey (Music Spoke)
- Shine on Me - SSA - Dilworth (Hal Leonard 3295343)
- Cantate Domino - SSA - Ayres (Santa Barbara MP 3300734)
Orchestra Division - Contact Sheila Felder for additional information.
District 8 Strings and Orchestra Winds are in District 2 for the Festival this year, 2017. Please check the District 2 Festival Information.
- In Walked Bud - Von Berg
- The Blues Walk - Paul Murtha
- Georgia on My Mind - arr. Sweeney
- Cubano Chant - arr. Story
- Flight of the Foo Birds - Neal Hefti
- What Am I Here For? - Duke Ellington / Mike Tomaro
- You Left This - Bob Washut
- Sky Dive - Freddie Hubbard / Erik Morales
- Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder / Michael Philip Mossman
- A Question of Hope - Antonio Garcia
- Norwegian Wood - Bill Holman
- It's All Right With Me - Dave Rivello
- Stompin' at the Savoy - arr. Holman
- One Night in Moscow - Marcus Wilcher
- Devil May Care - Kirby Shaw - SATB
- The Nearness of You - Kerry Marsh - SATB
- Let's Live Again - Rasana Eckert - SATB
- Time After Time - Kerry Marsh - SATB
EGM Division - Contact Hannah Fidler for additional information.
- Elementary Chorus - Andy Bruhn
- Ukulele - Will Ulrich
- World Drumming - David Stoker
- Orff - Kristine Mertens
- Folk Dance / Movement - Mona Mann
- Recorder -TBD
**IMPORTANT PARENT INFO** **IMPORTANT PARENT INFO** **IMPORTANT PARENT INFO**
Please inform your PARENTS of the following information for all District 8 Festivals
1. Doors for the concerts will open 15 minutes prior to the concert starting time. They are welcome to wait in line, however, no one will be allowed in the performance hall until 15 minutes prior to concert time.
2. The concert admission charge is $5 for all performances, EGM Festival, Jazz Festival Performance and Jr./Sr. Band and Choir Performance Festival. Children (12 and under) and Sr. Citizens are admitted free of charge. Exact change is greatly appreciated.
3. All students participating in the festival are expected to stay for the duration of the concert. Children will not be pulled from their ensemble seating area during the concert.
ILMEA District 8 President