Orchestra Composition Competition
Submission Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Composers are invited to submit an original, unpublished work composed since January 1, 2015 that is suitable for middle school/junior high or high school string orchestras.
- Application must be completed online by April 1, 2018.
- Composer of winning composition will receive $1,000 and a professionally recorded performance by an Illinois high school orchestra at the Illinois Music Education Conference, January 2019.
- Upon publication, all royalties will remain the sole property of the composer.
Grade 3 (see Difficulty Level Criteria), scored for String Orchestra (must include violin, viola, cello, bass).
Length of Piece:
Single or multi-movement work, 3 to 6 minutes
- Any composer, regardless of age or nationality is eligible.
- Work must not have been premiered or won previous awards.
- Only one entry per composer will be allowed.
- Each entry must contain a PDF score/parts plus a MIDI/audio recording.
- The manuscript must not contain any identification of the composer.
- The manuscript must be clear and legible and include the title and rehearsal numbers or letters.
- Handwritten works will not be accepted.
- Online application completed by April 1, 2018, which includes the following:
- Link to PDF of score and set of parts.
- Link to MIDI or audio recording of work.
- Application fee (non-refundable): ILMEA or NAfME members ($25), Non-ILMEA or NAfME members ($35)
In the preliminary round all entries will be screened through score analysis and audio recording by a panel of judges. Only the winner’s name will be announced. If the judging panel concludes that none of the submitted compositions meet the specified criteria or quality expectations, ILMEA reserves the right to decline the award of a winning prize.
Winning composition must include the following dedication upon publication: “Winning Composition of the 2019 Illinois Music Education Association Orchestra Composition Competition.”
We anticipate that the winning composition will be performed at the annual Illinois Music Education Conference held January 2019 in Peoria, Illinois.
application will be available beginning november 1