The links below should help you become familiar with the music being performed at the Illinois Music Education Conference in January.
Honors Orchestra Repertoire
Bernstein - Symphonic Dances from West Side Story
1. Purchase and listen many times to recordings of these works. Check out iTunes, Spotify, your local music store or your local library for recordings.
2. Learn each excerpt at a very slow tempo with a high degree of accuracy of all aspects of the technique and musicianship required by the excerpt.
3. Set the metronome to your slow tempo. Master the excerpt locked on to the metronome.
4. Playing the excerpt many times, gradually increase the tempo up to performance tempo.
5. Record your excerpts. Listen and analyze your performances.
6. Practice with the orchestra recordings you have. Hear the entire orchestra when you practice.